Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Just something most Singaporeans should consider

I am utterly disgusted by the lack of command in English that Singaporeans have. Imagine having a conversation with someone when out of nowhere, they start spouting stuff like "liao", "de", "lo" and some other stupid "modifications". I honestly am very much dumbfounded whenever these people uses such terms because I would be racking my brain trying to find associations with those terms that they have used and ultimately giving up because the words that that they use does not make sense to me at all and that I shouldn't really bother trying to figure it out. Waste of brain cells.

Honestly speaking, why can't we just stick to good old-fashioned English? It makes things terribly easier to understand and thus prevent the possibility of misinterpretation. Sighs. I don't see why Singaporeans find the need to add all those unnecessary "vocab" into normal conversations. I think that's probably why most people are getting poorer and poorer in their command of English.

I'm not saying that I have a complete grasp of the language, what I'm trying to put across here is that Singaporeans must be able to learn the proper use of the language instead of infusing it with their own for the sake of their own convenience but not realizing that at the same time, they are throwing off decent people who are too used to speaking in proper English, to readjust themselves to the so-called "Singlish" in order to make themselves heard and understood.

Just to be clear on this, I'm not saying I look down on people who uses "Singlish" as an everyday means of communication but what I am saying is that we should all work together and speak good and proper English for the benefit of us all and also for the greater good. I mean, what's the point of having a universal language if in the end you are going to infuse it with your own and cause confusion among those who do not do the same? It's pointless isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I do get embarrassed when I hear these stereotyped Singaporeans speaking in public.

Yet as much as I don't like hearing it, speaking it in casual social gatherings has become a norm. Sometimes you're just lazy, sometimes you think(or at least, i think and feel) that people feel more comfortable around me (locals mostly) when I just slang a little here and there.

Makes them feel more 'at home' , if you get what i mean. I do have friends from overseas with accents and different slangs, i assimilate whenever i can, i try to speak better than i do with my local not-so-good-command-of-english friends.

I make it a point to have good language use in my scripts, articulate characters, and then I'm told it's 'not local enough'. Man, that paints a bad pictures for Singaporeans, lor.